At Open Energy Transition (OET), we're dedicated to accelerating the global energy transition towards 100% renewable energy. Our focus is on creating a global impact through promoting transparency, accessibility, and collaboration in energy planning. Here's our theory of change:
The traditional 'black-box' modelling approach in energy planning lacks transparency and slows down the global energy transition towards 100% renewable energy. Furthermore, there are challenges in getting open-source tools adopted in companies due to the lack of support and software requirement gaps.
Our goal is to address these challenges and accelerate the global energy transition towards 100% renewable energy. We aim to make energy planning more transparent, accessible, and collaborative, and to make open-source tools more adoptable for companies, thus driving a global impact.
- Facilitate Standardization of Open Data. We promote the creation and use of robust, open datasets that can be used in energy system models.
- Advance Open-Source Planning Tools. We facilitate technical advancements in OS tools and support development of enterprise-grade tools to software maturity.
- Provide Reliable Support. We offer reliable support for the use, scalability and security of the open planning solution to increase utility and trust for users.
- Build Credibility and Regulatory Support. We build credibility and regulatory support for OS grid planning tools and scale the adoption for industry and regulatory decisions.
- Expand User and Developer Community. Bolster the pool of analytical talent to collaboratively improve tools, expand the base of users who can integrate and apply these tools.
- Increased number of studies using open data and increased open data quality.
- Increased number of users and downloads of the open-source tools.
- Increased number of companies and institutions adopting open-source tools for energy planning.
- Increased number of energy planning studies created using the open-source tools.
- More robust and sustainable energy systems.
- Increased public acceptance of energy infrastructure upgrades.
- Lower costs of the whole energy infrastructure.
- Increased adoption of inclusive open-source tools.
Ultimately, our work will lead to an accelerated global energy transition towards 100% renewable energy, with more companies around the world adopting open-source tools for energy planning. This is how we aim to create a global impact.